Day 15 - Traveling Day

 The last blog post is brought to you by Tatiana Grimaldos and Tony Locascio. 


Tatiana: This day is kind of confusing since I technically arrived at 9:00 a.m. on the 20th but my travel day was the 19th. At the airport in Doha I said goodbye to everyone since I was traveling on my own on a direct flight to DFW. My flight was super long 17hrs and I had a middle seat. It wasn't bad at all though since all I did was sleep, eat, and watched two movies. Once I arrived and went through passport control and customs, I was greeted by both my Mom and my dog Daisy. It was so sweet getting to see them again for the first time since August, since I was abroad all Fall semester. My mom helped me unpack and do some laundry. I also went on a walk with my dog and told some stories about my travels to my mom and step-dad. This trip to Doha, Qatar was absolutely incredible and I am extremely blessed to have been able to experience the World Cup and all the energy and passion that comes with it!







Tony: For those of us not lucky enough to only have to deal with one plane today, our travel worked a little differently! After shopping and eating around the airport in Doha, some of us choosing to us this time to charge our phones or just rest from a long trip, we finally moved towards boarding! While in line Carissa, Ashely and I(Tony), met a very kind British woman who had been in Qatar for the entirety of the World Cup, working in the event management sector for VIPS! She told us about booking hotels, suites for games, and all other expensive sounding things! It was really cool to see some of what we learned in person! 

The Doha to London portion of the trip was fairly uneventful for me. Although I did get a great view of Doha and Lusail stadium from my window seat, I tried to sleep the majority of the time. Which for me on an airplane is an impossible task. 
After a seemingly quick roughly 6 hour flight and waiting for what felt like way more than 15 minutes for a bus that comes every 15 minutes we had finally arrived at our terminal in London. Shockingly to all of us, we had to go through security again! 

After a quick Starbucks and convenience store stop we were in for the long haul 10 hour flight. After being assigned a middle seat it was very nice to see an entire empty row and be able to move and relax for these next long ten hours. I filled my time with reading, music, and movies! Side note, time feels like it goes in slow motion on a plane. We. Landed around 2 as scheduled but here’s where the real fun of my day began. I had two hours from when we landed, to get through customs, get my bag at baggage claim, transfer to the furthest possible terminal, check myself and a bag into a flight, get through security and board. I definitely felt like some sort of movie star running through IAH like a madman with 20 minutes to boarding. Thankfully I made it to the gate right as they called my boarding group while only having a mild heart attack. After a faster than anticipated flight home, the pilot even bragged he landed us 27 minutes early, me and my family went and got some much needed Tex-Mex, a Dr Pepper, and a margarita(please drink responsibly, 21+ only) 

As I sit here in my much more comfy than Qatar dorm room bed writing this, I ask myself if I could do it all again. And although I might take a break first, just tell me when to board the next flight and I’d go back to that very special place with an even more special group.











Comments